Wednesday, June 6, 2007

The world of experimental cinema


I can't even begin to express how thrilled I am about last night's program. I feel sorry for anyone that missed out. We celebrated the 50th wedding anniversary of Cecile Star and Aram Boyajian in style with an evening of film history.
All presented in vivid 16mm, with the whirring of the projector as constant soundtrack, we were rewarded with an amazing collection of women filmmakers (including Alice Guy-Blache, the very first female filmmaker), with films spanning from 1912 to 1980. Black & white, color, animation, optical printing effects, comedy, drama. the themes and images were as diverse as the filmmakers who created them.

So what now? well, I'll tell you what I did. I just spent the past four hours viewing almost every piece of super8 film I've ever shot. Holy cow! The difference between projected film and video is like night and day. Even with my small-gauge super8 films projected onto a drably painted wall of my house.
I have to admit. It was kind of weird to see films i made ten or fifteen years ago. and fun. So why aren't I still making them? Good question. I've got no shortage of cameras, film stock or ideas. So that's that.

besides shooting new film, I plan to screen my super8 films at upcoming Secret Movie Nights. And i plan to have them all transferred to video for the sake of preservation. More on that in a future post.

For now, i'm off to watch more film. Enjoy!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home